Garage storage is something every home owner must come to terms with at some point. Our lives are just smack full of stuff. Stuff that has to go somewhere. Even though it's stuff that we hardly ever use or really even need, we just seem to keep hanging on to it year after year. Of course, there are lots of things we do need to access and use on a regular, albeit infrequent, basis. For example, Christmas does come around every year, so those boxes and boxes of decorations have to be accessible and ready to rock 'n roll when it's time to deck the halls. And all that sports and fishing equipment can't be buried somewhere when you need it. Lucky for home owners, effective do-it-yourself garage storage solutions are available from companies like Garagemaid. Consider the following:
Garagemaid has innovative garage storage systems that utilize interlocking connectors that are designed into each part. This means that there is no need to fuss with little fasteners that often just make assembly frustrating. The interlocking connectors add a lot of stability to the units, while at the same time making installation and assembly a snap. Once the unit is put together it's just a matter of attaching it to the studs of the wall for a great garage storage system.
One of the nice things about Garagemaid products is that they are made out of a high density polyethylene so it is virtually impervious to problems that often arise from wood products when they get wet. With high density polyethylene, things like rot, rust, or cracking are avoided all together. It is an easily cleanable product that doesn't have to be painted to look good.
Finally, the modular aspect of this system allows a variety of combinations that allow a more custom fit for your garage storage needs. You might start out with their basic storage cabinet that measures 84" tall x 22" wide. This has four adjustable shelves and a door on the upper part of the cabinet. The bottom part allows you to use up to four optional drawers. If you need additional garage storage you can just purchase additional shelves or even other cabinets with which it can be combined. This ability to customize really lets you get your storage just the way you want it in your garage space.
If you just need hooks for tools or other items you want to store on a wall, they also make a slat wall "workstation" kit with hooks. This unit is 42" wide x 39" tall. The kit includes 14 storage hooks that just snap securely into the slat wall where you want them. There is also a 4" x 24" storage basket that is designed to be used with the slat wall. These baskets are perfect for storing small items. The baskets have clear fronts so it's easy to see what is inside. These don't require any assembly. Just snap it in place and that's it!
By combining the different styles of cabinets, slat wall kit, hooks, and baskets together anyone can design and implement their own customized garage storage solution in minutes. Then you will be able to find anything you need at any time.
There are several types of eco-friendly flooring that are easily accessible to homeowners throughout the US. Eco-friendly or sustainable flooring is not only good for the environment; it's also good for you and our family.
Bamboo is a fast growing grass. It is a short kind of grass with a quick and short growing cycle. It quickly reaches maturity and replenishes itself, making it an extremely sustainable flooring option. Bamboo is strong and durable. It is stronger than many hardwood floors. It's available in a variety of colors, including earth tones and caramelized colors. Bamboo flooring is also water-resistant, making it a great bathroom flooring option. It is slightly less expensive than hardwood flooring.
Cork comes from the bark of the cork oak tree which can be stripped every 10 years without harm to the tree. Cork has some great characteristics: It is durable, provides thermal and acoustical insulation and is rot and fire resistant. It also has a soft texture, making it very comfortable to stand on. Many cork floors are guaranteed for 15 years when they have been layered with a UV-cured acrylic. Cork flooring does not require professional installation.
Natural linoleum is made from linseed oil and pine resin, which are natural, renewable resources. Unlike conventional linoleum flooring, natural linoleum does not contain harmful VOCs and other toxic chemicals. It has some great qualities, including stain resistance, water resistance and durability. Homeowners should be aware that natural linoleum floors have a distinct smell of linseed oil which may irritate some sensitive people. However, there are other health benefits to installing natural linoleum including that , it's asthma and allergy-friendly too in that it's easy to clean and does not attract dust.
Wool carpets provide an eco-friendly carpeting option for those who like carpet but do not want to harm the environment. The production of most synthetic carpets produces toxic fumes resulting from the petroleum-based ingredients and volatile organic compounds (VOC's) used in their production. Wool is a sustainable, natural resource which makes it an eco-friendly choice. It is also 100% biodegradable. Many wool carpets are made with a natural jute backing.
Recycled Rubber Tiles
Recycled rubber floor tiles are a fantastic flooring option. This flooring type is considered eco-friendly not only because it is recycled, but also because it uses very little energy to produce. Rubber flooring is especially favored by families with young children for several reasons: They are sound absorbent, durable, stain-resistant, easy to clean and easy to install.
Besides there being a variety of types of garage flooring available today, there are also a handful of top garage flooring manufacturers. Lets take a look at who they are, in alphabetical order, and what type of flooring they specialize in making.
- Better Life Technology. BLT makes two main types of garage flooring. Roll-out floor coverings and peel and stick tiles. The roll-out floors come in a variety of widths, lengths, patterns and colors. They boast making the widest roll-out floor on the market today. The colors available are clear, gray, blue, black, sandstone, forest green and brick red. Available patterns include ribbed, coin, levant and diamond. These floors are really easy to install, they cover up old, ugly concrete, they provide cushioning, are durable, and they also channel liquids out of your garage.
Their peel and stick flooring comes in 24" squares and is also very easy to install. It comes in a couple of patterns and three colors: gray, white and black. This allows you to create a "race day" checker pattern in your garage.
- Gladiators Garage Works is a company that specializes in customizing your garage, from full wall systems, to work benches, cabinets, appliances and garage flooring. They are really known for the durability of all their products. Their flooring system is a cushioned, interlocking tile. A variety of colors are also available, including black, gray, blue and red; as well various patterns. With a Gladiator floor, you can also purchase special drain floor tiles so that your shop drain is still accessible. Also, to avoid tripping when stepping onto the tiles (if you do not have it wall to wall), Gladiator makes special tapered edged tiles for a smooth transition.
- NewAge VersaTile is another high quality, interlocking tile system. They boast that they use a revolutionary button lock system that creates a seamless, water resistant design. Also available in a variety of colors, tiles are 18" square. With a variety of colors available, you can create a unique flooring pattern!
- Norsk-Stor is yet another company that makes an interlocking garage flooring tile. Something unique that they boast is a patent pending Air-Dry system that allows moisture trapped under the tiles to flow out from underneath the tiles so that it can evaporate. Also available in various colors and patterns, tiles are about 18" square. One nice thing about a tile floor, regardless of the manufacturer, is that if there is damage to the flooring, you only have to replace the damaged tiles, not the entire garage flooring system.
- Ulti-Mate is another snap together tile, in a variety of colors and patterns. They are tested and certified by the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) and are designed to withstand the toughest mechanical environments and household and shop chemicals. Their tiles are 12" square, and they also sell special edging if needed.
- Versatile garage flooring is a chip and flake epoxy based, roll on rock surface that is very tough and durable. Though a lot more work intensive to apply, the finish is amazing and very professional looking. Some of their systems can be applied in as little as three hours (not including prep time), and it really gives your garage floor new life.